“Mushroom & ham stir fry” is a very simple yet delicious dish commonly served in Spanish bars as a tapas dish. The mushrooms are delicious served on their own, but there is no reason why they could not also be piled on toast for a cheerful breakfast.
The dish has a nice garlicky taste where the juices of the mushrooms meet the fat of the Serrano ham blending together into a perfect marriage. Pancetta can work as a substitute when the ham is not locally available.
The traditional recipe normally adds eggs on the equation, but I just prefer this way.
- Olive oil
- 500g oyster mushrooms
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 100g serrano ham
- Chopped parsley
- Salt & pepper
- Cut the mushrooms into large pieces
- Chop the garlic finely and fry gently in olive oil until soft
- Dice the ham and add to the frypan for a minute
- Then add the mushrooms and stir altogether to coat them in all the juices
- Cook for 5 minutes on medium heat, making sure all water has evaporated
- Chop some parsley finely and garnish
- Season with salt & pepper to taste